Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Heliconias


Heliconias are my favorite plants. They rise from clumps of banana like leaves. These plants grow in a tropical wheater. They have large stems, long leaves and bracts. Also their colorfull bracts can be erect, pendulous or spiraling. These plants need enough water and shadow. Something depend of the variety they need more lightsun. We can find more of 500 hundred species of heliconias in South America. One of the most popular species is Rostrata. Her colors are red, yellow and a little green. When I was in Colombia I planted 500 hundred rhizomes. I planted five different species. This plant can be alive until 15 days. That is amazing. I love these plants so much.


















3 comments:

Elaine Soffer said...

Those plants are amazing! I can see why they're your favorites. How did you plant 500 of them? In one year? At your house?

Evelyn said...

I planted these 4 years ago in colombia. My father has a land outside the city so I planted them. Righ now there are still there but the problem is nobody take care of them. The good thing is they grow alone, they don't need a lot of treatment. Only if you want to sell them, they have to be perfect. When I go to Colombia I'm going to check my plants.

Elaine Soffer said...

Thanks for explaining this a little more. Do the flowers reproduce? If so, when you return to Colombia, you'll see the whole country overgrown with the babies of the plants you planted!